Adult Services Librarian - 20 hr/wk
Job Title: Adult Services Librarian I or II
Starting Rate: $14.72/19.24 per hour Pay Grade: 14/21
Location / Department: Xenia Community Library
Reports to: Xenia Head Librarian
Employment Status: Part Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt | Bargaining Unit
Hours: Part time, 20 hours per week (schedule includes daytime, evening and weekend hours)
To promote the mission and values of the Greene County Public Library. To carry out objectives and goals of the strategic plan to better serve the community. To provide information services to adult and children using print and electronic sources.
Essential Job Functions
- Answers reference and reader's advisory questions from the public and conducts necessary research in various media, including electronic and Internet sources.
- Instructs and aids library users in use of library and of reference tools; provides both one-to-one assistance and group presentations.
- Assists in developing the community’s library’s collection through: (1) analyzing and evaluating the collection’s strengths and weaknesses (2) selecting materials for removal from the collection (3) identifying community information needs and suggesting materials to meet them.
- Plans, designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates library programs for adults or families.
- Plans and/or prepares displays, bibliographies, pathfinders, or other informational materials.
- Troubleshoots all electronic resources and equipment in the department.
- In the absence of supervisors, assumes “person in charge” responsibilities.
- Assists in training employees.
- Responsible for opening/closing procedures.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in the field through attendance and participation in conferences and workshops and through programs of continuing education, professional reading, and participation in professional groups.
- Participates in groups such as Reference Council, Adult Programming Committee, Summer Reading Club Committee etc.
- Gathers statistics, prepares reports, and completes other projects as assigned.
- The supervisor may require other related duties. These duties are nonessential functions of this position.
- Attends conferences, workshops, seminars, and training to maintain knowledge as reflected in training curriculum.
- Keeps abreast of information by regularly reading email, minutes and staff website as well as attending staff meetings.
- Performs tasks of lower level classifications as necessary.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to provide knowledgeable customer service to assist all library patrons in a timely manner; show tact and courtesy in relations with the public and other staff members.
- Ability to communicate clearly and read printed and on-screen information.
- Proven computers skills and ability to input information into an automated system.
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast paced environment and handle difficult situations.
- Ability to handle routine problems under the guidance of supervisor and keep supervisor informed of departmental needs and concerns.
- Adult Services Librarian II- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school required. 1-3 years of Library and/or Customer Service experience strongly preferred.
- Adult Services Librarian I- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university required. 1-3 years of Library and/or Customer Service experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with reference service, including electronic retrieval preferred.
- Work is performed in an office-like setting, but with need for considerable mobility: light lifting, bending, stooping, stretching, and sitting at a variety of desks and service points.
- Employee may be scheduled to work evening and weekend hours, including Sundays; schedules may be altered depending on the needs of the library.
Library staff receive a wide range of benefits based on their position classification and the number of hours worked per week.
- The library pays an amount equal to 14% of each employee’s salary into the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System, the employee pays 10% to OPERS
- The library contributes a percentage of the employee’s salary for Medicare
- Vacation (10–20 days per year depending on length of service and professional status)
- Sick leave (12 days credit per year)
- Personal leave (3 days credit per year)
- Holidays, including birthday (10 days possible per year, depending on scheduling)
- Merit time off, if warranted
- Bereavement time, if needed
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and eligible family members
- Voluntary participation in the Ohio Deferred Compensation Plan
- Eligibility for Tuition Reimbursement program after one full year of employment (between $1650 and $2200 per year depending on the subject being studied)
- Dental insurance: employer pays for a single premium amount based on the amount of budgeted hours; additional coverage for dependents is at employee expense