Circulation Clerk - Part Time
Job Title: Circulation Clerk
Starting Rate: $10.47 per hour Pay Grade: 9
Location / Department: Xenia Community Library / Circulation
Reports to: Xenia Head of Circulation
Employment Status: Part Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt | Bargaining Unit
Hours: Part time, 20 hours per week (schedule includes daytime, evening and weekend hours)
To promote the mission and values of the Greene County Public Library. To carry out objectives and goals of the strategic plan to better serve the community. To perform a variety of library circulation and clerical tasks while maintaining a high level of customer service. To work under direct supervision but at times may work unsupervised and may be expected to solve problems and serve patrons independently.
Essential Job Functions
Checks out and Checks in materials using computerized system; collects fines and charges for payment of lost items; enters renewals and reserves for materials; registers borrowers; handles circulation questions from patrons in person or by telephone.
- Responsible for sorting materials to be shelved including book-drop, delivery, returns, etc.
- Handles incomplete or damaged items.
- Oversees circulation hold shelf.
- The supervisor may require other related duties including sorting mail and ordering supplies, etc. These duties are nonessential functions of this position.
- Processes the Paging List, runs Search Ohio and Clear hold-shelf reports, prepares requested items for Resource Sharing.
- Performs opening and closing procedures, including handling fine money.
- Processes new and leased materials. Processes donations.
- Processes withdrawn materials.
- Repairs and repackages damaged items.
- Assists patrons in finding books and materials.
- Attends conferences, workshops, seminars, and training to maintain knowledge as reflected in training curriculum.
- Keeps abreast of information by regularly reading email, minutes and staff website as well as attending staff meetings.
- Performs tasks of lower level classifications as necessary.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to provide knowledgeable customer service to assist all library patrons in a timely manner; show tact and courtesy in relations with the public and other staff members.
- Ability to communicate clearly and read printed and on-screen information.
- Proven computers skills and ability to input information into an automated system.
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast paced environment and handle difficult situations.
- Some knowledge of library clerical principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
- Ability to handle routine problems under guidance of supervisor and keep supervisor informed of departmental needs and concerns.
- High School Diploma; or equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skill and ability.
1 year of Customer Service experience preferred.
- Work is performed in an office-like setting, but with need for considerable mobility: light lifting, bending, stooping, stretching and sitting at a variety of desks and service points.
- Employee may be scheduled to work evening and weekend hours, including Sundays; schedules may be altered depending on the needs of the library.
- The library pays an amount equal to 14% of each employee’s salary into the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System, the employee pays 10% to OPERS
- The library contributes a percentage of the employee’s salary for Medicare
- Vacation (10 days per year)
- Sick leave (12 days credit per year)
- Personal leave (3 days credit per year)
- Holidays, including birthday (10 days possible per year, depending on scheduling)
- Merit time off, if warranted
- Bereavement time, if needed
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and eligible family members
- Voluntary participation in the Ohio Deferred Compensation Plan
- Eligibility for Tuition Reimbursement program after one full year of employment (between $1650 and $2200 per year depending on the subject being studied)
- Dental insurance: employer pays for a single premium amount based on the amount of budgeted hours; additional coverage for dependents is at employee expense